Inflammation can be both good and bad.
On one hand, it helps your body defend itself from infection and injury. On the other hand, chronic inflammation can lead to weight gain and disease.
Stress, inflammatory foods, and low activity levels can make this risk even greater.
However, studies demonstrate that some foods can fight inflammation.
9 Foods That Fight Inflammation
1. Healthy Fats. Healthy fats, including salmon, avocado, and olive oil, have been shown to be beneficial for inflammation. Oleocanthal, a phenolic compound found in olive oil, has beneficial effects on inflammation.
2. Lemons. Lemons contain beneficial plant compounds, called bioflavonoids. Bioflavonoids help boost lymph flow and strengthen blood vessels. They also neutralize free radicals, which help reduce swelling in the body.
3. Cruciferous vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables contain high levels of sulfur. Sulfur helps fight back against free radicals. Sulforaphane is an antioxidant that helps fight inflammation. It does this by reducing cytokines in your body.
4. Berries and cherries. Berries contain anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are compounds that can help reduce your risk of developing chronic disease.Cherries reduce levels of CRP inflammatory markers. Plus, uric acid can prevent and help with painful bouts of gout.
5. Sweet potato. Sweet potatoes contain resistant starch, which helps feed beneficial bacteria in the gut. This helps maintain balance in the mucous membranes in the gut. Cyanidin and peonidin are responsible for anti-inflammatory properties in sweet potatoes.
6. Carrots. Carrots are great at reducing inflammation. They are also rich in carotenoids, low on the glycemic index, and rich in insoluble fibers. They are also fantastic as one of the most beauty-enhancing vegetables.
7. Turmeric. Turmeric contains bioactive compounds. The main one is curcumin. It is known for its high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
8. Pineapples. Pineapple contains the enzyme bromelain, shown in studies to reduce markers of inflammation. Studies also show that bromelain can decrease neutrophil migration where acute inflammation is present.
9. Whole grains. Swap out refined carbohydrates for whole grains. Oats contain antioxidants, avenanthramides, shown to lower blood pressure. Inflammation is typically found in those with high blood pressure. Brown rice contains phenolic acid and can decrease liver inflammation.